Prevention is better than cure

Every year during the winter season a number of families in Pakistan suffocate to death due to keeping the gas heaters on for the whole night during sleep and it is so mainly because the majority of our population is unaware of the precautionary measures needed to avoid losses while using gas heaters.
Gas heaters release emissions such as carbon monoxide directly into the room, increase the level of indoor pollutants, which can potentially harm your health including a high incidence of respiratory symptoms.
Gas heaters also consume oxygen while burning, causing lower amounts of oxygen in the room if not properly ventilated. Poisoning can also result due to leakage of gas heaters accidentally in close rooms.
Some people are more susceptible than others to suffer health effects such as heart disease patients, asthmatics, pregnant ladies, children and elderly, explained Head of Community Medicine at CMH Lahore Medical College Professor Dr. Muhammad said that Carbon monoxide is invisible, odorless, colorless and tasteless gas, so is difficult to detect. It is highly poisonous and deprives the body of oxygen. The individual is rendered completely helpless without warning and without feeling that he is being gassed. Thus, one may become unconscious during sleep and ultimately die, he said.
He added that if the level of Carbon monoxide in a room goes above the ‘safe levels’, people with heart disease may get chest pain or angina. Smokers with heart disease are, particularly at risk. Young children, unborn babies and the elderly may also be affected, said Dr. Ashraf.
He adds exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Symptoms include tiredness, shortness of breath, headaches, dizziness, nausea, muscle weakness, confusion, etc. while exposure to extremely high levels of carbon monoxide can result in death. He said several deaths every year in

winter due to carbon monoxide poisoning can be avoided if some simple safety measures are ensured.
Talking of precautionary measures, he said the room needs to be well ventilated. Keep internal doors and at least one window open to allow fresh air to enter the room. Check that room vents are not blocked. Turn off all gas appliances before going to sleep. Never keep gas heaters on while to bed. Ensure that the gas supply is disconnected from the main. Even the ‘pilot’ should not be kept ‘On’. If the gas leakage is suspected, it should be detected by gas smell or by the sound of escaping gas and not by the application of naked lights, he said.
He added that if gas leakage is suspected, open doors and windows to ventilate the area, turn off all consumer safety shut off valves and the meter shut off valves and report immediately to gas authorities. Never use rubber pipes to gas equipment, he said.
He said the best option to minimize the bad effects of gas heaters, one should minimize the length of time that gas heater is used. Have your gas heater serviced at least once a year? Heaters that are not in good working order can release higher amounts of pollutants into your room, he said. “If possible, avoid the use of gas heaters.”
Professor Ashraf said that suspected cases of gas poisoning should be removed

How do you detect a gas leak?

The most tell-tale sign of a leak is the smell of gas in your home. There may also be some clear signs from your household appliances that indicate a leak, even if you can’t smell gas. If the flame is a tired-looking orange or yellow color rather than crisp and blue, this can signal an issue. If the pilot light always seems to blow out, there could be an issue. On the outside of the appliance, keep an eye out for soot or any black or brown scorched areas. Watch out for excessive condensation on the windows, or a musty smell in the air.

In order to protect your house & family get a gas leak detector.

Click This Detector OR link to Get From Amazon

https://amzn.to/2wqTzQw

Check out this detector at Amazon

One Reply to “Prevention is better than cure”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.